“An electronic health record (EHR) is more than just a digital version of a paper chart for a patient.”
On the surface, an EHR is a digital version of a patient’s medical chart, but there is so much more that can be accomplished with today’s high-functioning, best electronic health records software. A provider can make better care decisions if they have access to an up-to-date and complete healthcare record. However, it is also a powerful tool for streamlining workflow in your independent practice and can frequently lead to cost savings.
Jumping on the technology bandwagon, the medical community is learning to use EHRs to take advantage of the wealth of patient and medical data available. The streamlined EHR uses cutting-edge digital technology to transform the way patients are cared for. The EHR, when combined with an advanced technology serves to increase compensation for services rendered.
Modern independent practice providers face an overwhelming amount of administrative and patient care burdens, which can frequently lead to stress and physician burnout. Using better tools, such as the EHR, can help reduce paperwork and stress while also allowing medical caregivers to:
- Increase the quality of patient care.
- Simplify the billing and charting processes.
- Get access to more medical information to help with diagnosis and treatment.
- Increase patient interaction and involvement.
- Reduce your reliance on medical transcription services.
- Improve care coordination to improve interoperability.
- Provide better diagnostic scenarios, which can lead to better patient outcomes.
- Increase provider productivity and practice efficiency.
- Ensure billing and coding information is correct, resulting in accurate reimbursements and cost savings.
Advanced EHR Result in Better Diagnostics and Patient Outcomes
94 percent of providers say their EHR makes records available at the point of care.88 percent say their EHR provides clinical benefits to their practice.75 percent of providers say their EHR helps them provide better patient care. An advanced EHR will provide accurate medical and patient information to your private practice. This allows providers to keep track of patient data, identify symptoms and health risks, diagnose diseases, and create personalized treatment plans. The availability of accurate information reduces the possibility of mental and medical errors.
According to Physicians Practice, proper medical charting is critical for avoiding legal liability. The following are some best practices for reducing risk:
- Documentation that is complete, accurate, relevant, and timely.
- To avoid sending mixed messages to patients, limit your use of the cut-and-paste function.
- Before moving on to the next chart, reread and review the information.
- Educate employees on the significance of proper charting.
- Invest the time necessary to learn about your EHR and make full use of its features.
EHRs rely on more intuitive and AI capabilities to manipulate data that is beneficial to both the provider and the patient. When considering new prescriptions, for example, an EHR can track medications and allergies and search for any contraindications or interactions. Specialists and emergency responders can access medical conditions and life-threatening allergies thanks to interoperability capabilities.
An EHR can be used to improve the group as a whole for an independent practice with a large number of patients in a specific population. Providers can review aggregate population data and look for trends in preventive measures and specific medications. For patients with hypertension, diabetes, or chronic care needs, the EHR can be used to identify patterns of potentially harmful events.
EHRs are an important link in the risk management continuum because they provide alerts and reminders and assist in considering all aspects of a patient’s care. In the event of a legal challenge, a complete EHR can provide an accurate record of the provider’s thought process and communication stream.
Modern EHR Improve Patient Care And Satisfaction.
The use of the EHR can help to increase patient participation in various aspects of their care. According to HealthIT.gov, EHR features can improve patient satisfaction by providing safer and more reliable prescription management:
- 92 percent were pleased with their doctor’s use of e-prescriptions.
- 90% reported going to the pharmacy rarely or only occasionally and having a prescription that was not ready.
- 76 percent said it made getting medication easier.
- 63% percent reported fewer medication errors.
Better prescription communication with patients and pharmacies results in fewer after-hours clinic calls to resolve medication misunderstandings.
The EHR in chronic care management improve the quality of care screenings for cancer, hypertension, asthma, COPD, and diabetes. Patients use medications more frequently and adhere to treatment plans more consistently when communication and management are improved.
Increased EHR efficiency results in improved patient care as well as increased provider convenience. All patient information is kept in one place and is easily accessible when needed. Every beneficial application means less time spent on time-consuming administrative tasks:
- Fewer claims rejections and denials result from better data management.
- Patients should spend less time during each interaction filling out the same information.
- The easier it is for you to run your private practise, the less stress you will experience.
If steps are not enough to manage paperwork more efficiently, the paperwork involved in filling out forms, processing billing, and managing insurance claims can overrun your practise. Use your EHR to automate these tasks, making your life easier and saving money.
Providers can easily access patient data from wherever they are working. Internally and with others outside the practice, it is easier to share information with other providers and specialists.Many health care providers rely on their EHR system to improve practice efficiencies and cut costs. Your independent practice can benefit in a number of ways, including the following:
Improved Medical Practice Administration-EHR
Integrated scheduling systems automate coding, manage claims, and link appointments directly to progress notes.
Savings in Time
Easier and more centralized chart management, condition-specific queries, and EHR shortcuts significantly speed up the chart process, allowing more time for patient care.
Providers can easily access patient data from wherever they are working. Internally and with others outside the practice, it is easier to share information with other providers and specialists. Messages can be sent and received without leaving the computer.
Many health care providers rely on their EHR system to improve practice efficiencies and cut costs. Your independent practice can benefit in a number of ways, including the following:
Reduce or eliminate transcription costs
Reduce or eliminate the costs of chart paper, pull, refiling, and storage. Reallocate staff to provide better patient care. Improved documentation and automated coding capabilities result in more efficient and faster claims management. Your procedure reduces denials due to late filings.
- Eliminating manual charge entry saves time and results in more accurate billing.
- Increased access to up-to-date patient data and error prevention alerts can help to reduce medical errors.
- Disease management and patient education programs improve care quality and satisfaction.
With ever-increasing reporting and CMS requirements, the EHR enables your private practise to complete key regulatory data elements, ensuring that you do not lose compensation due to inaccurate data.
Takeaways from Today’s EHR Systems
The main goal of incorporating any type of digital-assist system into your private practice is to help improve patient care, outcomes, and satisfaction without imposing an unnecessary burden on you or your staff. The ability to share critical patient insights across the patient care network results in safer levels of care with no additional redundancies.
An EHR that works with you almost instinctively can help to improve efficiency, cut costs, and reduce stress. The advantages of a high-quality EHR for an independent practice provider include:
- Access to up-to-date, complete patient information at the point of care
- The ability to provide more coordinated care in collaboration with other healthcare entities
- Communication with clinicians and patients is now more secure
- Diagnostic capabilities have been enhanced.
- Fewer medical errors of omission and commission.
- Increased patient compliance with care measures and improved provider-patient communication levels.
- lowering the barriers to routine prescription management
- In the event of any legal issues, complete, legible documentation of patient history is required.
- Streamlined coding and billing procedures to expedite billing and collections.
- Insurance and government regulations must be followed.
- Increased work-life balance for physicians.
- Office operations that are more efficient, with lower costs and higher net revenue.
The first step toward transforming health care is to incorporate Electronic Health Records (EHRs) into your independent practice. The following are the anticipated benefits for the practice:
Improved Health Care
Use your EHR to supplement all aspects of patient care, communication, and education.
The EHR supports your efforts to encourage healthier lifestyles among your patients by monitoring remote devices, managing routine appointments and tests, highlighting behavioural risks, and promoting the use of preventive care measures more broadly.
Improve health care coordination among various entities, increase administrative efficiencies, and reduce waste.
Improved Decision Making-EHR
Integrate patient data from multiple sources to determine the best course of treatment.
When you find the right EHR and learn to fully integrate it into your daily patient care routine, you will discover that it has numerous advantages for you, your private practise, and, most importantly, your patients.
Amazing Charts provides high-quality EHR support
Chart summaries, lab results, referral summaries, and past encounter summaries are all accessible with a single click. There will be no more multiple documentations of the same information.
E-prescribing module that is both robust and built-in.
Charts can be accessed and edited by any user with appropriate access within any inbox.
A user-friendly reporting tool that includes common preset queries as well as the ability to create your own complex queries in a simple, step-by-step process.
Designed to be simple to use while reducing the possibility of your notes becoming essentially identical.
When you sign a chart note, an electronic superbill that generated and stored for billing purposes.
Set appointment types and durations, and rebook appointments quickly.
Support and maintenance
Telephone, email, chat, and instant remote access to US-based support personnel are all available. Regular program and database updates are provided to improve EHR usability.
Patient Access Portal-EHR
Work electronically with patients to exchange messages, visit summaries, test results, and educational materials.
MediFusion’s extensive portfolio of services, robust EHR and medical records systems software continue monitoring and managing your practice. It provides a wide selection of features and solutions to update your practice. Medifusion provide AI-driven healthcare software solutions tailored to your company’s requirements and enable you to provide more flexible and customized solutions.